Monday, March 8, 2010

CNC, Bends and Flame Cuts





For the metal elements of the Heavy Chair, I created a CAD drawing. This rendering tells the CNC machine exactly where to cut the metal to produce my desired shape. The main body will receive two bends. The bend at the front will be 87 degrees, and the rear bend will be 93 degrees. The first drawing shown here incorporates the measurements and a layout to help the machinist understand how the piece will assemble. The second drawing is specifically created for the CNC router.


The machine will cut out four small pieces and two horseshoe-shaped pieces. These elements, together, will become the structure that hold the wooden uprights. First, I'll TIG-weld the pieces into place and grind flat the joints. Finally, I'll blacken the exposed steel.


After witnessing a process called flame-cutting, I've decided that it would add some subtle interest. I'll leave the sides of the chair slightly long from the CNC-machining and then flame-cut the piece to width by hand. The process leaves what look like perpendicular saw marks in the metal. Flame-cutting the entire surface area would be too much, but doing just the sides makes it quietly textural.


Finding a solution to the final shape of the chair back has been challenging. My intuition is to leave it flat and simple. I may go that direction, but I've sketched some alternative ideas that I'll show in my next entry.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    My name is Pratik; I'm a Web Associate for ThomasNet.com. I came across your site and I notice you make mention of CNC and Machinery related articles.

    ThomasNet recently launched a large information base at Custom Manufacturing and Fabrication Articles , and we have a specific article(s) that I thought you could make use of.

    If you have a moment, could you please review the article and see if it's worthy of a mention on your site as an additional resource for your users?

    Thanks so much for your time. Hope to hear soon from your end.

    Best Regards,

    Pratik
    pmaru@thomasnet.com

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Kenon Perry is an artist first and a carpenter second. He believes if a piece isn't thoughtfully designed, lines to limbs, then no one will notice whether its assembled with a tongue-and-groove joint or a dove tail, whether the wood is wenge or ipé. Perry was born in east Texas with a God-given ability to build things, spending the bulk of his Waco boyhood drawing, fabricating, or thinking about drawing or fabricating. He then honed these raw talents at the prestigious University of North Texas art school, studying sculpture, graphic design, and history. Perry has since moved to Brooklyn NY. I love what I do and sometimes it even loves me back. Icon custom furniture crafts heirloom-quality furniture and cabinets for clients who recognize fine materials and superb construction practices. Our company was founded and is run by an artist and that is evident in our work, both the creative process and the end result. If you can't build it, we will. If you can't dream it, we can do that, too.